What is Plasma Enhanced Nanostructures (PENS)?
Plasma Enhanced Nanostructures (PENS) is a novel surface treatment that employs a gradient design strategy. In this strategy, the low friction, thin nanostructured surface is supported by a hard compound zone, and that compound zone is further supported by a large diffusion zone. This triple structure provides for gradual transition of hardness and elasticity gradients from the surface to the substrate. The process is carried out in glow discharge (plasma) and the nitrided layer is doped/dosed with additional elements.
PENS benefits are similar to nitriding with the additions of:
- Superior friction properties due to its additional nanolayer
- Improved thermal stability; enabling the material to last longer in elevated temperatures
- The ability to scale the process to meet your size requirements
VIEW GAS NITRIDING BENEFITS VIEW ION NITRIDING BENEFITS
PENS is Best-Suited For Applications That Need:
- Lubricity and the ability to withstand friction
- A more cost-effective alternative to PVD or CVD
- Improved wear resistance
- Protection in elevated temperatures
PENS is a great heat treatment for forging & stamping die applications; PENS is beneficial in reducing forging wear (surface abrasion, plastic deformation and mechanical fatigue).
LEARN MORE ABOUT IMPROVING DIE PERFORMANCE with PENS
Want to find out if Plasma Enhanced Nanostructures (PENS) is right for your application? Fill out our form.