The Low Temperature / S-Phase Nitriding Process
Since plasma is very effective in removing the passive layer of a chromium oxide formed naturally on the surface of stainless steel, UltraGlow® Ion (Plasma) Nitriding is widely used to harden (especially selective harden) stainless steel parts. Specifically, a very well-developed process that can be carried out by either carburizing or nitriding; such processes produce a so-called “S-phase".
Common Materials for S-Phase Nitriding
Benefits of S Phase Nitriding for Stainless Steels
- Enhanced corrosion resistance
- Protection from cavitation & erosion
- The layer is approx. 10-15 micrometers thick
- Increased surface hardness
- Ability for selective heat treatment
- Often used in oil, gas and marine industries
304 Stainless Steel after UltraGlow® Ion (Plasma) Nitriding
Download our White Paper:
"Retaining Corrosion Resistance in Stainless Steels with S-Phase Nitriding"
Click here to download