On Friday, August 31, 2018
Whether you're in the agriculture industry or automotive, corrosion and wear resistance is an important aspect to ensure you produce a quality product for your end user. But with so many different options, it can sometimes seem difficult to choose the right process and vendor. Below, we compare QPQ/salt bath and chrome plating to our trademarked UltraOx process.
What is UltraOx?
UltraOx is an environmentally-friendly alternative to salt bath and chrome plating, used for corrosion and wear resistance. UltraOx also produces an aesthetic, uniform sleek black finish.
- The UltraOx process creates three protective layers (oxide, compound zone and diffusion zone) for superior corrosion and wear resistance
- UltraOx can endure a salt spray test in excess of 240 hours
- Provides uniform coverage on all dimensions of a part, penetrating holes and bores
- UltraOx is an environmentally-friendly alternative; ammonia is burned off within the vessel
- No residue to clean post-processing
Why NOT Chrome Plating?
- There are dimensional concerns with coating; poor penetration within holes and bores
- Chrome plating has high air emission rates which produce adverse health, safety and environmental risks
- As the chrome begins to build in thickness, micro-cracks form, allowing moisture penetration and rust
- Chrome hydride decomposition leaves microscopic voids
Why NOT QPQ/Salt Bath?
- QPQ/Salt baths can leave behind residue which results in post-processing cleaning and potentially more labor costs
- QPQ and salt baths are not environmentally-friendly and expose employees to chemicals and potential safety concerns
- QPQ and salt baths can sometimes have inconsistent finishes
So, whether you're heat treating a firearm part or any other low to medium carbon steel, consider UltraOx to help you solve your corrosion, galling or wear needs.
Request a free UltraOx sample or fill out the form below for a quote today!
- corrosion resistance
- wear resistance