On Thursday, August 11, 2022
Q&As with Chad Wagner
You started at AHT October 2021. Tell us about your professional background before that.
Prior to my current position at AHT I worked in Manufacturing at a company that makes ATV’s. I was a Team Lead there and handled the pretreatment and powder painting of our raw parts. Before that I was lab tech at an environmental engineering firm testing soil samples.
What does a typical day look like for you as Lab Technician in Cullman, Alabama?
Sample testing. (Hardness testing, microhardness, microstructure, etc.)
When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your free time?
I love being outdoors. Disc golf, hiking, biking, kayaking - you name it, I like to do it. I also love movie and video games, when the weather doesn’t permit going outside.
Do you have other hobbies?
Woodworking. I mainly design and construct my own small furniture. I mainly stick with the mid-century modern style. My father taught me when I was growing up and it was some of the best memories I have when I was younger.
Cullman AHT is adding a new heat treat service: Induction Hardening. Tell us about that.
I've spent several weeks training and preparing for this to happen. We've offered induction hardening at one of our locations in Waterloo, Iowa since 1993 and now we are excited to add it to a second AHT location. It should provide another excellent heat treating service for our current customers and future customers.
LEARN MORE ABOUT INDUCTION HARDENING.
What is one thing people may not know about you?
I broke my high school record for longest javelin throw on my very first throw. Oh, I threw javelin in high school (senior year).
Working in the lab, what advice would you give our customers?
Please include material type in the PO. This helps with processing and streamlines communication which means we are able to run their parts sooner.
What would you say to someone who was considering applying at AHT?
Wear purple during the interview, that’s how I got the job. ;)
Now, a series of quick random questions:
- Your College Major: Computer Science at Troy University
- First Job: Working at a movie theatre
- Favorite Food: Bacon Cheeseburger
- Least Favorite Food: Anything that lives in water
- Have You Ever Played a Musical Instrument? Yes, Alto Sax
- Favorite Sport: Disc Golf (to play) and College Football (to watch)
- Favorite Team: Team Solo Mid. It’s a professional League of Legends team which is a computer game. I'm not very good at playing anymore, so I just enjoy watching.
- Favorite Book: Stormlight Archives
- Favorite Vacation or Roadtrip? Backpacking
- Pets? My succulent plant Viktor
- Hidden Talent? Poetry
Have a Question for Chad Wagner? Call him at 256-739-2775.
- meet cullman
- meet the team