On Monday, October 15, 2018
Q&As with Connie Mackey
Connie, explain what a typical day looks like for you as AHT’s corporate quality systems manager.
Typical day? There’s nothing typical about Quality! The day could involve PPAP’s, internal auditing of our processes, corrective actions, CQI9 updates, Nadcap reviews, including audit advisories, and most importantly assisting our customers’ needs and inquiries - both external and internal.
Your email signature reads “Connie Mackey, ASQ: CQE, CQM/OE, CQA, CQT, CQIA.” For those of us unfamiliar with those acronyms, can you explain your accreditations?
• American Society for Quality: Certified Quality Engineer (ASQ/CQE)
• Certified Quality Manager/Organizational Excellence (CQM/OE)
• Certified Quality Auditor (CQA)
• Certified Quality Technician (CQT)
• Certified Quality Improvement Associate (CQIA)
All the certifications were timed tests (4-5 hours each test) with a minimum of 150 multiple choice questions relating to: statistics, equations, 6 sigma, auditing, supplier auditing, continuous improvement, etc.
When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your free time?
I love to read! Readers are leaders. I have approximately 3 different books going on right now; one for work, one personal, and my daily devotions. Also, my fur baby, Izzy keeps me quite busy.
What professional accomplishment(s) are you most proud of?
Helping AHT pass their Nadcap Audit with zero findings plus achieve the 24 month merit!
What projects/initiatives are you currently working on?
I’m always working on ways to improve our Quality Management System. With our diverse customer base and their specification requirements, I am continually reviewing the specifications to ensure we can meet them – both metallurgically (with the assistance of our great Metallurgical Team) and their quality systems requirements, all the SHALLS that are called out. Also, I have been traveling to our different locations to perform internal audits to ensure AHT’s quality system meets our ISO 9001:2015 / IATF 16949:206 certification requirements.
You recently joined the Supplier Support Committee for Nadcap. Tell us about that.
Volunteering with the Supplier Support Committee for Nadcap is near and dear to my heart. The team I’m currently working with is developing a new supplier manual that will be used to guide new suppliers during their journey in becoming Nadcap accredited.
What is one thing people may not know about Connie Mackey?
I’m shy?! I was also recruited to play basketball by a couple college teams, unfortunately the best college team (Iowa State Cyclones) didn’t recruit me or I would have played for them!
Now, a series of quick random questions:
• Favorite Book: Bible
• First Job: Waitress at a little town diner
• Favorite Food: (Do I have to pick just one?) Chocolate
• Person That Has Influenced You: I have several, a person cannot have too many! One quality manager taught me I can be anything I want to be when I grow up! I’m still trying to decide what I want to be!
• Favorite Quote: “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.” – Forrest Gump
• Best Vacation: My recent cruise to Nassau, Bahamas
AHT was recently named an “Employer of Choice” by the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier. In your opinion, what sets AHT apart from other employers?
Gary Sharp! (AHT founder) It all started with him!
Have a question for Connie Mackey? Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 319-232-5221.
- meet midport
- meet the team